This chocolate mousse is one of my favourite desserts, especially for weeknight entertaining. It only requires three ingredients (which you probably have in the cupboard), takes less than ten minutes to prepare the mixture and can be made the day before and set overnight if needed. My guests always love it and it requires far less effort than the outcome suggests.
As this is quite rich I always serve it with fresh berries. A scoop of vanilla ice-cream or berry sorbet would be a great accompaniment as well.
In my view the quantities below make enough for 3 portions. Although it might not look like alot, the richness of this dessert means that you really don’t need a large portion.
Cooking time: 10min
Chilling time: 2 hours
– Dark Chocolate x160g (use a good quality chocolate)
– Butter x10g
– Eggs x2, separated into whites and yolks
– Water x40ml
1. Melt the chocolate, butter and water into a bowl suspended over a pot of simmering water.
2. Once melted remove from the heat and stir in the egg yolks one at a time.
3. Allow the chocolate to cool and thicken.
4. Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks. Stir a third into the chocolate mixture and then fold in the remaining egg whites.
5. Pour into ramekins and leave to set in the fridge.