This lemon chicken tray bake is a perfect weeknight dinner as you can just pop it in the oven and forget about it for 45 minutes while you get on with whatever else demands your attention. It can also be made a day or so in advance and then heated up in the oven before serving. It makes a lovely thick lemony juice which is perfect served with cous-cous to soak it all up.
Last week we had a pretty busy week ahead, so I decided to do a little Sunday afternoon meal prep session to allow for some extra time in the week. I kept the chicken in the fridge for two days and just heat it up in the oven for 10 minutes before serving. Having some meals prepped and ready for the week is a great way to save time on those busy days when you get home late but still want to make sure that you’re eating a healthy meal rather than picking up takeaways on the way home.
This recipe is an old favourite from my handwritten recipe book.
Serves: 3 – 4
Preparation Time: 5 min
Cooking time: 55min
– Chicken legs and thighs x4 of each
– Lemon x1, cut into wedges
– Red onion x1, cut into wedges
– White wine 250ml
– Garlic cloves x8, whole and unpeeled
– Olives x1 cup (or so), de-pipped
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 C
2. Place the chicken legs and thighs in an oven proof dish. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Fit the lemon wedges, onion and garlic cloves amongst the chicken pieces.
4. Pour in the white wine.
5. Pop the tray into the pre-heated oven for 45min.
6. After 45min take the chicken out the oven and add the olives to the dish amongst the chicken, lemon, onion and garlic. Put back into the oven for a further 10min.
7. The chicken will almost definitely be cooked after the total 55min, but if you want to double check make a small incision in a piece of chicken. If the juices run clear, the chicken is cooked.